07 November 2014

Myanmar official denies blacklisting Kyaw Thaung


Myanmar immigration office has denied the allegation that Kyaw Thuang, a member of Myamar's special team assisting two Myanmar suspects facing murder charges in Thailand for allegedly killing two British tourists on Koh Tao, was blacklisted.

"It is not true that Kyaw Thaung has been put on the blacklist," said a senior official from Yangon immigration and population department who declined to be named.

"We received a letter from Myanmar Overseas Employment Agencies Federation (MOEAF) which wanted us to prevent Kyaw Thaung from leaving for Thailand. We thus asked him some questions and later allowed him to continue his trip. He is not blacklisted," he added.
Kyaw Thaung is also an executive director of Myanmar Association in Thailand. He said he only found out he was on the blacklist at Yangon International Airport just before he flew back to Thailand yesterday morning.


"When I arrived at the airport to fly back to Thailand, officials approached me while I was checking in at immigration desk. They took me to a room and held me there for almost an hour. I knew later that I was on the blacklist. I have been a good law-abiding citizen my whole life. I haven’t done anything wrong. I am shocked that the immigration put me on the blacklist as I am helping others by risking my life," said Kyaw Thaung, who is now in Thailand.

▶▶▶ The Nation


Photo By | The Irrawaddy (Burmese Version)